ADSM-L

Re: Defining two 3590s to a storage pool

1998-10-26 09:49:55
Subject: Re: Defining two 3590s to a storage pool
From: "Eggert, Randall" <REggert AT WIS.TWC DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 1998 08:49:55 -0600
Dwight,
I agree with Doug on this.  I left an environment with AIX 4.1.4 & ADSM
2.1.5.18 with 2 3590-B11 drives (Magstar with the self-contained 10 cell
"mini" library).
        When I defined each 3590 as a mini-library (containing 10 volumes),
each would have to be defined in its own storage pool.  Thus work could not
be thrown from one tape to another when the first was busy.  This required a
good effort to predefine backup volume and time to properly distribute the
load between the two drives.
        Since this was in the same room as our 24/7 mainframe shop, I
scrapped the second storage pool, redefined both 3590 drives as MANUAL, and
stuck them both in the same storage pool.  Disadvantage: all tapes had to be
manually loaded.  Advantage: both drives were in use if the backups in
session required them.

Randy Eggert