ADSM-L

verification of data

1998-10-23 07:27:04
Subject: verification of data
From: Paul Zarnowski <vkm AT CORNELLC.CIT.CORNELL DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 07:27:04 -0400
One of our support folks here has asked what mechanism(s) ADSM utilizes to
verify that backup data sent to the server and stored on tape is in fact
the same data that came from the client system's disk.  Some backup
products have a "verification" utility that can do this after the backup
tape is written.

I know about ADSM's AUDIT VOLUME command, but I think that just checks the
readability/integrity of data already written to tape.  I also know that an
incremental backup will back up any data that has changed, but I don't know
exactly how it detects changes - does it include some sort of checksum
comparison, for example.  If anyone knows of a White Paper, Red Book, or
manual that this is covered in, I'd appreciate a pointer.

Thanks in advance.

..Paul