ADSM-L

Re: Recovering Data Lost to Defective Media

1998-10-22 13:00:22
Subject: Re: Recovering Data Lost to Defective Media
From: bbullock <bbullock AT MICRON DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 11:00:22 -0600
Here are the steps I have our operators take to restore date from a
copypool:

Destroyed/Missing tape - Primary storage pool

****  Note: words in ITALICS are examples of tape/storage pool names. You
must
****  substitute these values with the correct ones.

1.      Update database to reflect volume is destroyed.
        ADSM> update vol C00252 access=destroyed
2.   Find out what tape/tapes from the offsite copypoool are needed from
vault.
        ADSM> restore vol C00252 preview=yes
                        <wait> do "Q PROC" until process is gone.
        ADSM> q act  (to get the list of tape/tapes it wants).

                **** There will be a bunch of entries that look something
like this:
                 04/01/98   14:27:50  ANR1233I Restore preview of volumes in
primary storage
                                      pool VMS_INCR_TAPEPOOL started as
process 212.
                04/01/98   14:27:50  ANR1255W Files on volume C00050 cannot
be restored -
                                      access mode is "unavailable" or
"offsite".
                04/01/98   14:27:51  ANR1255W Files on volume C00239 cannot
be restored -
                                      access mode is "unavailable" or
"offsite".
                04/01/98   14:27:51  ANR1255W Files on volume C00058 cannot
be restored -
                                      access mode is "unavailable" or
"offsite".
                04/01/98   14:28:10  ANR1255W Files on volume C00032 cannot
be restored -
                                      access mode is "unavailable" or
"offsite".
                04/01/98   14:28:56  ANR1255W Files on volume C00260 cannot
be restored -
                                      access mode is "unavailable" or
"offsite".
                04/01/98   14:28:56  ANR1255W Files on volume C00083 cannot
be restored -
                                      access mode is "unavailable" or
"offsite".
                04/01/98   14:28:56  ANR1255W Files on volume C00000 cannot
be restored -
                                      access mode is "unavailable" or
"offsite".
                04/01/98   14:29:16  ANR1255W Files on volume C00268 cannot
be restored -
                                      access mode is "unavailable" or
"offsite".
                04/01/98   14:29:17  ANR1235I Restore process 212 ended for
volumes in storage
                                      pool VMS_INCR_TAPEPOOL.
                04/01/98   14:29:17  ANR1241I Restore preview of volumes in
primary storage
                                      pool VMS_INCR_TAPEPOOL has ended.
Files Restored: 43070,
                                      Bytes Restored: 27207363132.

                In this case all 8 of these tapes would need to be retrieved
to restore the data from the bad tape.

3.   Retrieve offsite tape/tapes from vault and load into the library.
4.   Check the offsite tape/tapes into library.
        ADSM> checkin libvol TAPELIB1 C00016 stat=private devt=3590
5.   Update access to the tape/tapes just loaded.
        ADSM> update vol C00016 acc=readonly
6.   Restore the files back to primary tapepool.
        ADSM> restore vol C00252
          It may take a while...

7.      Check to see that primary storage pool is up to date.
        ADSM> restore stg AIX_INCR_TAPEPOOL preview=yes
        ADSM> q act  (preview should say 0 files restored, if not STOP and
call me.)
        *** To find out what pool the destroyed tape belonged to, use the "q
vol C00252"
                        command.
8.      Return tape/tapes "restored from" back into the vault.
        ADSM> update vol C00016 access=offsite
        ADSM> checkout libvol TAPELIB1 C00016 remove=yes
                <tape/tapes should be put in I/O slot by robot>
9.      Remove the damaged tape from the database.
        ADSM> delete vol C00252
10 . Remove tape from tape library.
        ADSM> checkout libvol TAPELIB1 C00252 remove=yes