ADSM-L

ADSM OS/2 cannot handle Tape Library

1998-10-22 04:52:16
Subject: ADSM OS/2 cannot handle Tape Library
From: Frank Hoehnel <blhoehnf AT DE.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 22 Oct 1998 08:52:16 +0000
We have an ADSM OS/2 Server Version 2.1 Level 15 installed on a PC Server 330.
We want to backup to a Quantum DLT 4500 library.
The ADSMSDI program recognizes the library and say's "ADSM supoort : YES".

  ADSMSDI output :

  ** 2 Removable Sequential devices
     Adap  Id  Lun  VendorID  Product ID        Rev.  ADSM support?
     ----  --  ---  --------  ----------------  ----  ----------------
       5    0    0  ARCHIVE   Python 04106-XXX  703b   YES, as TAPE50$
       7    5    0  Quantum   DLT4500           D474   YES, as TAPE75$

  ** 1 Removable Changer/Library device
     Adap  Id  Lun  VendorID  Product ID        Rev.  ADSM support?
     ----  --  ---  --------  ----------------  ----  ----------------
       7    5    1  Quantum   TZ Media Changer  D474   YES, as AUTO75$

When we try to label a tape with dsmlabel we get the error message :

  ANR9752E Could not access drive 'TAPE75$'.  It may be in use by another
  application..

When we try to define the library to the ADSM server we get :

  ANS8000I Server command: 'def libr dlt4500 libtype=scsi device=AUTO75$'
  ANR8418E DEFINE LIBRARY: An I/O error occurred while accessing library
DLT4500.
  ANS8001I Return code 3.

We also tried to use a standalone Exabyte tape drive with this ADSM server
with the same result :
ADSMSDI says the tape is supported, but dsmlabel and define library fail.
(Backagain/2 did work with this exabyte drive !)

OS/2 is WARP server german with fixpak 36 :
  OS/2 Warp 3 Service Level
  Version 1.00     Komponenten-ID 566933010
  Typ  Fixpak
  Aktueller CSD-Level: XRGW036
  Voriger   CSD-Level: XRGW036

RMVIEW output :
      Adapter: AIC7870_0  Adaptec AIC7870
      Device Type: MS-SCSI        Bus/Width: PCI 32 BIT
      I/O = 0X4000  Len =  16  Flg = EXCLUSIVE   Addr Lines = 16
      IRQ Level = 15  PCI Pin = NONE  Flg = SHARED
        Device: TAPE_(5,0)  Quantum  DLT4500          D474      TAPE
        Device: CHANGER_(5,1)  Quantum  TZ Media Changer D474      CHANGER

Can anybody help ?

Frank Hoehnel
blhoehnf AT de.ibm DOT com