ADSM-L

ADSM and tapes

1998-10-21 11:19:29
Subject: ADSM and tapes
From: Robert Bunt <rmbunt AT NYSEG DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 21 Oct 1998 11:19:29 -0400
Bob Bunt@NYSEG
10/21/98 11:19 AM

We have ADSM/6000 2.1.5.15 with an attached 3494-L12 Tape Subsystem.
We expect to upgrade the server to V3 versy soon.

During one recent episode where a tape drive was experiencing problems, a
tape
was stuck in the drive while the normal ADSM operation continued.  The tape
in the
drive did have data from prior migration processes.

Before the Tape was stuck in the drive the command "Query Libvolume Tapelib
TAPE01"
would show information about the tape being allocated Private.  "Query
Volume TAPE01"
reveals how much the tape is currently utilized.

During the drive outage, the Library Manager and drive was varied offline
from the SMIT-
DEVICES - ADSM DEVICES selection.  While the IBM CE repairs the drive, the
tape is
pulled straight from the drive and placed directly into the open slot in
the Library.  Upon the
restart of the 3494, an inventory is taken of all of the tapes in the
library.

After the drive outage, "Query Volume TAPE01" still shows the current tape
utilization. It is
just marked as unavailable.   The "Query Libvolume Tapelib TAPE01" returns
nothing.
The tape is no longer listed in the LIBVOLUME inventory.  I have tried to
re-checkin the
tape into the library and have had no luck.  I usually end up having to
discard the data
and start the label and checkin process all over.

Has anyone else experienced the same problem of Tapes being stuck in this
LIMBO
state?  Is there a means for getting the tape recognized as being in use
and back into
the Library in a ready state?

                                         Bob Bunt
                                         rmbunt AT nyseg DOT com