ADSM-L

Re: how to restore files from NT central storage

1998-10-20 11:11:31
Subject: Re: how to restore files from NT central storage
From: Doug Thorneycroft <dthorneycroft AT LACSD DOT ORG>
Date: Tue, 20 Oct 1998 08:11:31 -0700
The following is copied from the "Using the Microsoft Windows
Backup-Archive Clients" book.

8.30 Set Access

The set access command gives users at other nodes access to your backup
versions or archive copies.
You can give another user access to a specific file, multiple files, or
all files in a directory. When you give access to another user, that
user
can restore or retrieve your files. Define in the command whether you
are
giving access to archives or backups.

Note:  You cannot give access to both types of files using a single
command.

Syntax

>>--SET ACcess---- archive------ filespec------------------- node-------->
                +- backup--+  +- {filespacename}filespec-+

>-----------------------------------------------------------------------><
   +- options-+
Parameters

archive
    Allows access to archived files.

backup
    Allows access to backup versions of files.

filespec
    Names the path and file or directory that was backed up or archived
on
    the server to which you are giving access to another node or user.
Use
    wildcard characters to specify a group of files or all the files in
    directory; all objects in a directory branch; or all objects in a
drive.
    You can code a single asterisk (*) for the filespec to give access
to all
    files that you own and that are backed up on the server. When you
enter the
    command,

         set access backup * node user

    a check on the server is not made. It is assumed you have at least
one object
    backed up. However, you cannot use a wildcard to specify all
drives.  Use the
    file space name if the drive label name has changed.

    Note:  If you include filespacename, do not include a drive letter
in the file
    specification.

    If you give access to a branch of the current working directory,
specify the branch
    only. If you give access to objects that are not in a branch of the
current working
    directory, you must specify the drive and directory. The filespec to
which you give
    access must have at least one backup version or archive copy object
(file or directory)
    on the ADSM server. To give access to all objects below a certain
level, use
    asterisk+directory delimiter+asterisk at the end of your filespec.
For example,
    to give access to all bjects below d:\test\, you would enter:

         set access backup filespec d:\test\*\*

    To specify all files in a named directory, enter c:\proj\* on the
command line.
    To specify all files in all directories under the root directory,
enter d:\*\*
    on the command line. Enter d:\* on one set access command and d:\*\*
on another
    set access command if you want another user to have complete access
to your
    filespace. The first d:\* gives access to all subdirectories and all
files under
    the root directory.

{filespacename}
    Names the file space (enclosed in braces) on the server that
contains the files to
    which you are giving access. This name is the drive label name on
the workstation
    drive from which the file was backed up or archived. Use the file
space name if the
    drive label name has changed.

    Note:  You must specify a mixed or lowercase NTFS filespace name
enclosed in quotes
    with braces, for
           example: {"NTFSDrive"}.

node
    Specifies the ADSM client node of the user to whom you are giving
access.  Use wildcard
    characters to give access to more than one node with similar node
names. Use an asterisk
    (*) to give access to all users.

options
    Go to Chapter 6, "Setting Common Options" in topic 6.0 for
information about common options.

Examples

The table below provides examples of some tasks you might perform using
the set access command.

& Task                               & Command
&
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------&
& Give the user at node_2 authority  & SET A Backup c:\devel\proja\*.c
&
& to restore all files with an       & node_2
&
& extension of .c from the           &
&
& c:\devel\proja directory.          &
&
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------&
& Give the user at node_3 authority  & SET AC Archive c:\devel\* node_3
&
& to retrieve all files in the       &
&
& c:\devel directory, but do not     &
&
& allow access to files in           &
&
& subdirectories of c:\devel, such   &
&
& as c:\devel\proj.                  &
&
+------------------------------------+-----------------------------------&
& Give all users whose node names    & SET AC B {project}\*\* *bldgb
&
& end with bldgb the authority to    &
&
& restore all backup versions from   &
&
& all directories on the d: drive.   &
&
& The d: drive has the file space    &
&
& name of project.                   &
&
& Back up an entire drive.           AC d:*\* user
&