ADSM-L

Re: Magstar Tapes for 3570

1998-10-19 07:16:49
Subject: Re: Magstar Tapes for 3570
From: "Garin P. Walsh" <Garin_Walsh AT NOTES.SABRE DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 19 Oct 1998 07:16:49 -0400
I had similar problems with one two 3570 drives in a L12 library. What has
finally worked for me is that you need the latest firmware as of about 3
weeks ago (mine is 4215), the engineering fix for the atape drivers (mine
says v 4.2.1.0), and a new head brush assembly. The other thing to ask your
field tech about is if he is using the old or new brush assembly
replacement instructions - the original instructions make the tech guess
about the order of stacking some connectors and there is a good possibility
of the cables going back backwards.

Then do an audit library not using the read barcode option to get the drive
to mount all the tapes and fix the VCR data on the damaged ones or you
could just wait for chance to mount and fix the tapes - the repair can take
a long time also - I was seeing 20 minute plus times per tape - This is the
exact time when your boss's boss's boss's boss's machine decides to die and
you discover that you don't have collocation on and his latest backup is
spread across 30 damaged tapes.....

Shane <shanesmith AT WESTPAC.COM DOT AU> on 10/18/98 07:25:04 PM