ADSM-L

Re: Excluded files not expiring

1998-10-18 00:42:40
Subject: Re: Excluded files not expiring
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Sun, 18 Oct 1998 00:42:40 -0400
Hi Russell,

Your approach is correct for deleting unwanted files. Eventually
I'd like to see us provide an easier method of doing this, as
you can with archive versions.

When you exclude a file that had previously been included,
the behavior is the same as if you had deleted the file:
The active version is marked inactive, and all existing
versions are then managed according to their management
class. So eventually they will go away (unless you have
the retentions set to NOLIMIT).

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com

Hi...

Yeah I have been struck by this as well.  One gotcha is that if you
exclude files, the ADSM client will NOT rebind the files, think they
are now inactive or do anything useful with them.  In fact, I don't
even think it will mark them as "INACTIVE". <sigh>

To delete the files, I did this

1. Creating a management class called "ZERO" with a backup copy group:

MgmtClass Name                  : ZERO
Description                     : For deleting files
Space Management Technique      : None
Auto Migrate on Non-Usage       : 0
Backup Required Before Migration: YES
Destination for Migrated Files  : SPACEMGPOOL
Copy Group
        Copy Group Name........: STANDARD
        Copy Type..............: Backup
        Copy Frequency.........: 0 day(s)
        Versions Data Exists...: 1 version(s)
        Versions Data Deleted..: 0 version(s)
        Retain Extra Versions..: 0 day(s)
        Retain Only Version....: 0 day(s)
        Copy Serialization.....: Dynamic
        Copy Mode..............: Modified
        Copy Destination.......: BACKUPPOOL

2.  Editing the system's include-exclude file to include the offending
files into this management class.

3.  Use "query backup -inactive -su=yes /path/to/whatever/" to find
all the files I wanted to get rid of.

4.  As a lot of these were now deleted files, writing a script to
"touch" all of those files.  This meant they existed when I...

5.  Ran a selective backup over the files and directories I wanted to
delete.  This bound all the files to the new management class.  It
also rebound all the inactive versions of the files.

6.  Delete the files from the file system.

7.  Wait for the nightly incremental backup to detect the files were
now deleted.

8.  And bingo, all those files have gone from ADSM.

9.  Fix the include-exclude file up

You may have to run "expire inventory" on the ADSM server for it to
garbage collect the expired files.

Russell