ADSM-L

Moving and reconfiguring the ADSM DB

1998-10-15 14:13:14
Subject: Moving and reconfiguring the ADSM DB
From: Cheri Howard <Cheri_Howard AT AAL DOT ORG>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:13:14 -0500
We have an MVS V2 server.  We would like to move our ADSM DB and logs to
different  DASD volumes.   At the same time, we'd like to reconfigure our
DB files from 6-2301 MB files to 15-1001 MB files.  We're also going to
rename them from DB1-DB6 to DB10-DB24.  Below are the steps I'm planning on
taking.  However, I'm not 100% comfortable that I'm doing this correctly.
I'd appreciate any input - Thanks!

   Allocate new DB, log and mirror files with new naming standard and new
   size.
   Do a full backup of the ADSM DB.  Also do 'q db f=d' and 'q log f=d'
   Shut down ADSM.
   Run DSMSERV INSTALL to initialize new DB10-12 and the logs to ADSM. (Can
   only do DB10-13 due to jcl exec parm keyword length limitation of 100
   bytes).  It's my understanding you do not have to run DSMFMT on these
   new files....DSMSERV INSTALL will format and extend the DB for you?
   Run DSMFMT on the DB 10-12 mirror files.
   Run DSMFMT on DB13-24 and mirrors 13-24.
   Start ADSM server.
   Define DB volumes 13-24 to ADSM.
   Issue q db f=d to determine maximum extension size available.  Then
   extend DB by that amount.
   Shut down ADSM.
   Run DSMSERV RESTORE TODATE=TODAY to restore the DB from the most recent
   backup.  Will the DB restore OK to the newly named, newly sized files?
   Or will it have a problem because the backup contains the old named, old
   sized files?
   Start the ADSM server.
   Issue 'DEFINE DBCOPY ...........' commands to define the mirrors to
   ADSM.