ADSM-L

Re: ADSM V3.2.1 for NT install troubles

1998-10-14 21:10:51
Subject: Re: ADSM V3.2.1 for NT install troubles
From: E Collins <emcollin AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 14 Oct 1998 21:10:51 -0400
Hi Christopher,

The 3.1.2.0 nt install now installs the scheduler client as part of
installation.  You can see exactly what the install program does if
you look at initsrv3.bat and cfgsrv3.bat in the ...\ibm\adsm\server
directory.  The results of these bat files are in initsrv3.log and
cfgsrv3.log respectively.  This will provide insight into both the
scheduler service and upgradedb problem.

I just spoke w/ the install developer and we agree that the way
existing scheduler services are dealt with is incorrect. It will be
fixed in a future ptf. Any problems found dealing w/ upgradedb will
also be fixed.

If you look in initsrv3.bat you'll see that the scheduling services
named "ADSM Central Scheduler Service" (old name) and
"ADSM Scheduler" (new name) are removed before installing
the scheduler service as "ADSM Scheduler."  Instead, the install
pgm should just skip the scheduler install if it's already installed
to avoid customer reconfigures of the scheduler service.

The server utilities will list all installed ADSM/NT services and
allow you to control them. You can start the utilities from the swiss
army knife icon or ADSM program folder. (If the tip of the day appears
you can either cancel or choose work interactively and click ok).
When you select service information from the tree view you'll see a
list of ADSM/NT services. You can right-click on a service to set its
options as well as start or stop it.  You can also use dsmcutil.exe in
the baclient dir to configure the scheduler service.  More detailed
info is available in the common questions and answers from the
ADSM program folder. Ref. topic a7) [How do I] Install the ADSM
Central Scheduling Service?

It's likely that the issue is that the scheduler service is installed
under a new name. You can now refer to it as "ADSM Scheduler" but will
have to reset its account etc, info unless default info was previously
used.

The NT install handles the upgradedb automatically which is why it is
not described anywhere.  The way the install program determines
whether the option is required is that it looks in the registry for
the ADSM server key and the associated ptf level (you can see this
info by clicking on the "Version Information" in the server utilities'
tree view).  If the ptf version is anything less than 3.1.2.0 it will
start the server w/ the upgradedb option.  The initcfg3.bat and log
file should show what happened.  I can think of a possible case
here... Did you do an uninstall before doing the 3.1.2.0 install? If
so the existing version info may have been removed from the registry.
I'll check to see if this case is handled.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Mike Collins
ADSM Development