ADSM-L

NTFS permissions

1998-10-12 15:31:33
Subject: NTFS permissions
From: Greg Heis <gsheis AT FEDEX DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 1998 14:31:33 -0500
Hello ADSM/NT folks,

Our illustrious Data Protection department has implemented a new
requirement.  For our NT servers, user Home directories will not be
accessible by any other user except the user himself.  In other words, the
NT "SYSTEM" user and the ADMINISTRATOR will not have permission to access
these files.  I have setup the ADSM Client Scheduler to run under the
"SYSTEM" account.  I have written procedures for our operators to log in as
the ADMINISTRATOR when using the Backup/Archive client.

I was sure that this would cause problems with ADSM.  It seems though that
the scheduled backup completed OK.  I also ran a test where I was able to
restore a file to a user's home directory where the ADMINISTRATOR has no
permissions.

How is this possible?  What are the ADSM requirements?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Greg Heis
FedEx