ADSM-L

Win 95 registry unusable after restore

1998-10-02 11:26:54
Subject: Win 95 registry unusable after restore
From: "Brazner, Bob" <Bob.Brazner AT JCI DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 10:26:54 -0500
After a full restore of a Win 95 PC, we noticed that 8.3 names in the
registry are no longer correct.  Here's what we did: We had been backing up
a Win95 PC using the 3.1.03 client.  Then, on an empty (newly formatted)
PC, we installed Win 95 and the latest and greatest ADSM 3.1.05 client, and
did a complete restore, and everything appeared to work fine.  However,
upon close examination, it appears that when ADSM restores a long file
name, a new 8.3 name is generated.  This new 8.3 name might or might not be
the same as old 8.3 name (I'm talking about how those ~ tilde numbers get
assigned as in c:\progra~1).  Normally, this would be ok, unless something
tries to refer to the restored file by its old 8.3 name.  Well, as luck
would have it, the registry is riddled with such references rendering the
restored registry virtually unusable.  The question is: Is this an ADSM
problem, or a Win 95 problem in that fact that apps are wrongly registering
themselves using 8.3 names vs. long names???  Does anyone have a technique
for preventing or otherwise getting around this problem?  Any and all help
would be appreciated.