ADSM-L

Re: Using ARCHIVE for long term storage.

1998-10-02 13:23:16
Subject: Re: Using ARCHIVE for long term storage.
From: "Susi, Scott T." <Scott.T.Susi AT UNUM DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 1998 13:23:16 -0400
The short answer is "it depends"...
I had similar questions a while back when I first started using ADSM.  I
haven't found a source for "practical applications" with regard to "how to"
set up archive and backup schedules depending on user requirements.  I have
found that you have a lot of different ways to handle similar situations -
it's a matter of what works best for you.
Some things to consider are:
Is the file/files changing daily or are they static?   I am using backup
schedules and a management class to keep log files for a year (these file
names change daily - have a date in the file name - and are regularly
deleted from the client...we retain the only version for 365 days).  On the
other hand, we have an application that requires a "traditional"
daily/weekly/monthly copy to be retained weekly/monthly/yearly - we use
multiple archive schedules and an archive pool to fulfill this requirement.
For me, archive tends to apply when you want to take a current copy of a
file and retain it for some period of time.  Backup is better utilized for
files that are changing and you want to be able to retain enough versions so
that you can step back in time if need be.  The "Using the Backup/Archive
Client" manual may be a place to look for assistance with retention
specifications (section on "automating ADSM tasks").
As far as storage pool and database requirements...you may want to take a
look at the IBM Redbooks (www.redbooks.ibm.com <http://www.redbooks.ibm.com>
) for information on "rule of thumb" calculations (I just read some database
and storage pool information in the Server-To-Server Implementation and
Operation book, section 4.1, that speaks to size estimation and is not
specific to server-to-server).
My approach has been to take a look at the file name structure, the timing
of the backup (when the backup should occur), the retention required, the
management class/copygroup/archivegroup specifications and the options
needed to assure that the files in question are being sent to the correct
management class (dsm.opt include management class, schedule operation tab,
etc.).   Experimenting with my own workstation and the various schedules has
worked for me.
This is strictly "my opinion" and I'm sure others have their own
methods/reasoning/approach.