ADSM-L

Re: Problems with Zip Drives

1998-09-30 13:24:41
Subject: Re: Problems with Zip Drives
From: Laszlo Nemeth <laz AT SYBASE DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 30 Sep 1998 11:24:41 -0600
Jaz drive works fine on a 95 laptop with pcmcia scsi adapter. tell the
drive to look like a local
and adsm backs it up no problem (other wise you need to tell it). how is
the zip connected? parrell, scsi, or ide?

also is IBM EVER GOING to fix the version 3 client? as much as I like the
interface it won't
be deployed till they fix the ease in which a user can mistakenly backup
network drives

laz

Greg Ira <gji01 AT HEALTH.STATE.NY DOT US> on 09/30/98 09:51:14 AM

Hello all,
     I am relatively new to ADSM and in the few short months that I have
been on this list I haven't seen any reference to this problem,though since
we use V2 (2,1,0.17) it may have been covered a while ago.
     I have a client who installed an internal Zip drive on one of his
computers (Win95).  When he starts the GUI backup client(V2,1,0.6) and it
begins to examine the drives,  it causes windows to have a fatal error .
He didn't send me the specs on the error message but he needed to reboot
the machine to get it working again.  If he disconnects the Zip drive,the
client works fine.  Has anyone else run into this problem before and is
there a fix? It definately seems to be a problem with the backup client
software as he has been able to recreate the error regularly and
reinstalling the software did not help.  Opening up the computer everytime
he wants to do a restore is not really an option.  We plan on upgrading to
V3,though that may take a number of months before we get to that point and
this user really needs a reliable backup system right now. (Will this
upgrade,both server and clients,even fix this problem?)
     Any Info I can give this user would be of great help.
TIA

Greg Ira
ADSTAR Administrator
NYS Dept. Health/BHNSM
Albany, N.Y.  12237
(518) 473-1809         gji01 AT health.state.ny DOT us