ADSM-L

Re: SQL Agent restores

1998-09-17 17:16:06
Subject: Re: SQL Agent restores
From: Chris Zaremba <zaremba AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 1998 17:16:06 -0400
David,

>It seems that the restoration of the backups went ok into the db's that I
>created. But after restarting SQL, the data in the db's was unusable.

Please be more specific.  What do you mean that the data was unusable?   Did
you get
a SQL error msg when opening the DB?  If so, what was it?  When you did the
restore, did
you restore only the full backup image or did you restore transaction logs as
well?  Also,
when you created the new database, did you create devices of the same size and
in the
same allocation order as the original?  This is a MS SQL requirement when
restoring a DB
backup into a  newly created one.  Was the DB created with the same sort order
and character
set as the original?  This is another requirement for a successful restore.

I can only guess at possible causes of your problem without more detailed
info.

Chris Zaremba
ADSM Agent Development
internet  zaremba AT us.ibm DOT com