ADSM-L

Tivoli Event Logging

1998-09-16 12:58:26
Subject: Tivoli Event Logging
From: Phil Chissell <phil.chissell AT NATPOWER DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 16 Sep 1998 16:58:26 -0000
We are successfully monitoring our NT ADSM Server events via Tivoli.

However, we have a strange problem with monitoring ADSM Client events.

I have enabled event logging for the ADSM clients (enable events tivoli
error,severe nodename=*) and this works fine as we are getting events
sent to our TEC for the remote clients.

But, bizarrely, we DON'T get any events for the local ADSM client that
runs on the ADSM Server itself.  The error events appear as normal in
the activity log but do not appear on the TEC.

Now the only difference between the local client on the ADSM server and
a remote client is that the local client uses a commmethod of named-pipe
rather than TCP/IP.  I changed this to use TCP/IP and lo and behold the
events for the local client all appeared OK.

Further investigation revealed that the local named-pipe events were
appearing in the TEC reception log but failed to be parsed because the
"origin" slot was empty.  The origin slot normally contains the TCP/IP
address of the host - so obviously this will be empty when using
named-pipe.  DOH!!

Does anybody know if there is a workaround to this or is there a fix for
this?

Regards

Phil

Phil Chissell
National Power plc
Windmill Hill Business Park
Whitehill Way
Swindon
Wilts. SN5 6PB
UK

Tel:  +44 (0)1793 894237
Fax: +44 (0)1793 894230
MailTo:Phil.Chissell AT natpower DOT com