ADSM-L

Re: Need help controlling explosive growth

1998-09-15 14:24:39
Subject: Re: Need help controlling explosive growth
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 15 Sep 1998 14:24:39 -0400
Would something like this help?

select node_name, sum(num_files) as "# FILES",
                  sum(physical_mb) as "MB (PHYSICAL)",
                  sum(logical_mb) as "MB (LOGICAL)"
   from occupancy
   group by node_name
   order by "MB (PHYSICAL)" desc

This will show you the total number of files, physical MB,
and logical MB used by each node, sorted by physical MB in
descending order (so the big hitters appear first). You can
alternatively sort by "# FILES" (or any other field) if you
wish.

Monitoring this on a daily basis may show you who is growing.

Sample output (I manually reduced the field widths here to
help prevent line wrapping of this note):

NODE_NAME      # FILES  MB (PHYSICAL)  MB (LOGICAL)
---------  -----------  -------------  ------------
STORMAN            669          50.59         50.59
STORMAN            669          50.59         50.59
DECALPHA           207          35.54         35.54
KETURY              23          16.65         16.65
ARIZONA              1           7.74          7.74
PTF3                 7           0.93          0.93
WIN98               53           0.26          0.26
MOCKV2              24           0.13          0.13
MOCK               300           0.08          0.08

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com

Well, I don't know about all files, but if you want to know about the tapes
per node, try this select:

select node_name,count(*) from volumeusage group by node_name

Mark Mapes
PG&E