ADSM-L

Re: 3575 configuration

1998-09-13 22:14:09
Subject: Re: 3575 configuration
From: Jennifer Davis <jedavis AT DFW DOT NET>
Date: Sun, 13 Sep 1998 21:14:09 -0500
Hello All,

I have seen many answers to this question posted.... all of which are
"technically" accurate. However, the only ADSM "supported" configuration to
date is as so........

Regardless of the interal cabling / number of control paths (for example: 2
drives per scsi initiator) you should only have one /dev/smc0 device listed
for this unit when issueing 'lsdev -C tape'.

This is the library device that should used when defining the library to
ADSM with the DEFINE LIIBRARY command.

NOTE:
There is an error in the ADSM Admin Guide and Admin Reference indicating
that the /dev/rmtX.smc special file should be used as the library device.
Although this will work in most circumstances, there are documented
instances with Support that substantiate that it does not function properly
in all cases.

NOTE:
Although it is possible to create a /dev/lb0 and use the library, again, it
should not be used.

There should be only one library definition per unit; and as many drive
definitions as there are drives.

The only IBM tape devices at this time that support multiple library
definitions are the:

3494 with up to 8 logical library controllers

7331 / 7336 operated in "split mode" allowing a single unit to operate as
a dual library unit. It will have 2 library devices defined as lb0 and lb1.

3570 operated in "split mode" allowing a single unit to operate as a dual
library unit. It will have 2 library devices defined as lb0 and lb1.

Best Regards,

J. Davis