ADSM-L

3590 with H/W Compression

1998-09-11 01:33:27
Subject: 3590 with H/W Compression
From: Simon Watson <Simon.S.Watson AT OPENMAIL.FIC32.BSPSER.SIMIS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 11 Sep 1998 13:33:27 +0800
We are currently using 3590 Drives (in a 3494) using the Format in the
Device Configuration of 3590B wich is without hardware compression.
Can we simply change this to either 3590C which will use H/W
compression or DRIVE which I presume will also use H/W compression(, as
long as the drive supports it).

Will our existing uncompressed tapes still be able to be read OK and
any new tapes that are generated be compressed?

We have a mixture of clients going to the same tape pool, some of which
are compressed and some not, so we will still see significant space
savings by turning compression on.

Any problems that anybody can see?

We are using AIX 4.2.1 with ADSM 3.latest.

Regards,
Simon