ADSM-L

Netware: viewing backups/requesting restores via namespace name

1998-08-26 22:13:25
Subject: Netware: viewing backups/requesting restores via namespace name
From: Bruce Elrick <belrick AT HOME DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 20:13:25 -0600
I asked this earlier but am not sure it got out...

Is using the 8.3 name the only way that a backed up file can be viewed
(via 'q backup') or requested for restore (via 'restore')?  That is, if
a namespace that supports long filenames is used (Mac, OS/2, Win95?) by
a Netware client to create a file which maps into gobbledygook in the
native 8.3 namespace, can I view the long name of the file that ADSM has
(assume the files was deleted so I can't browse the directory from
Win95) or can I request a restore of that file by its long name?

A corollary is, no matter how I restore it, do I always get the file
back such that these clients see the proper name?  Or is that limited to
restores to the original location?  Does ADSM store the long file name?

Thanks for any help...
Bruce