ADSM-L

Re: read tests

1998-08-26 12:35:23
Subject: Re: read tests
From: Sheelagh Treweek <sheelagh.treweek AT COMPUTING-SERVICES.OXFORD.AC DOT UK>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 17:35:23 +0100
We have been re-writing copypool volumes (several pools) this year onto fresh
3590 media.  The age of the media has varied between 6 months and 2.5 years.
One pool of almost 800 tapes (the site-wide backup pool) has so far yielded 10
that were unreadable or partially unreadable.  Other smaller pools (100 tapes)
had no unreadable tapes.

For speed of processing and to minimise tape mounts we opted to check the
copypool tapes back in in batches and use move data from the now onsite
volumes. The other benefit was that we were able to identify doubtful media.

I have found this somewhat disappointing in that one is led to believe that
3590 media and decks are of very high quality.  But, given the history of our
3590 tape drives and microcode over (almost) the last three years, it is in
some ways a pleasant surprise that there were not more failures.

We have always used "private" and not "scratch" tapes in pools, one reason
being that the media history is more trackable.  I always replace tapes that
have "write" errors and repeatable "read" errors.  It is my understanding that
3590 media is guaranteed for 10 years.

Hope this is of interest ...
Regards, Sheelagh
-----
Sheelagh Treweek                         Email: Sheelagh Treweek
         Email: sheelagh.treweek AT oucs.ox.ac DOT uk
Oxford University Computing Services     Tel:   +44 (0)1865 273205
13 Banbury Road, Oxford, OX2 6NN, UK     Fax:   +44 (0)1865 273275
-----