ADSM-L

Re: Recoverable backup sessions

1998-08-26 11:54:55
Subject: Re: Recoverable backup sessions
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 26 Aug 1998 11:54:55 -0400
We use TCP/IP for all clients, method POLLING, and use the Win95, WinNT, or
UNIX schedulers to trigger backups.
.
If we lose the ADSM server for some reason (or have a network problem) while
clients are backing up, after the server comes back the clients reconnect
and complete their backups with no problem.

In the client options file, we set:
MAXCMDRETRIES 99
RETRYPERIOD 20

That causes the client to retry the connection every 20 minutes, up to 99
times.

But, as Jennifer said, you have to still be in your defined schedule window
when the server comes back.

And I don't know what happens if you are using PROMPTED scheduling mode.

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
              - Scott Adams/Dilbert