ADSM-L

Need Help: AS/400 server with 1 tape drive

1998-08-25 19:59:12
Subject: Need Help: AS/400 server with 1 tape drive
From: Pat Vaughan <pvaughan AT BLUEWARE DOT NET>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 19:59:12 -0400
I'm about to go onsite to do an installation that some brain dead salesman
cooked up and I think I need some help :)

First off, the customer has an AS/400 production machine that's running the ADSM
server.  I can install it on the 400 without too much trouble.  I'm running V2
in the office now.  The customer was shipped ADSM V1 a couple of months ago.
IBM doesn't even know how they got the media.  Are there any gotchas with the V3
server?  Any bugs?

Another thing is they only have a single 8mm tape drive (I think it's the 8700
model) and that drive is used to backup the AS/400 and load programs.  Luckily
there are only 4 Netware clients.  Should I have the operators interactively
update the storage pools to dump to tape daily, do a database backup, then
change the storage pools back?  What else am I missing?

Thanks.