ADSM-L

Re: destroyed tape

1998-08-25 16:06:38
Subject: Re: destroyed tape
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 16:06:38 -0400
Hello Brian,

Ultimately there will be some data loss if the tape had not yet been backed up
via BACKUP STGPOOL.

1) The tape is destroyed. You should update it's access to DESTROYED.

2) When was the tape created? Maybe it had some data on it before, then was
recently appended to. If so, then at least part of that tape may have been
previously backed up with BACKUP STGPOOL. You can issue the RESTORE VOLUME
command for this volume with the PREVIEW=YES option. This will tell you which
(if any) tapes you need to restore it. It will also give you a summary of the
number of files and bytes that would be restored. After the RESTORE VOLUME
preview process completes, check the activity log for this information.

3) If it looks like RESTORE VOLUME will actually restore something, get the
volumes needed from the copy storage pool (they may be offsite), then issue the
RESTORE VOLUME command without the PREVIEW=YES. This should cause the
restorable files to be restored to someplace else in the tape storage pool.

4) Once the RESTORE VOLUME completes (or if there is no data to restore), issue
the QUERY CONTENT command to get a list of the files that remain on the tape.
This list will show you the files that were lost and to which node they
belonged. You can notify the owners of the node(s) of what happened. It is very
likely that if the data was created recently, new backups will be made during
the next incremental backup runs. For critical backups (like database backups
that are taken during the day) the database owner may want to run another ad
hoc backup rather than wait for the next day's backups to run.

5) At this point, I think you've done what you can. Issue DELETE VOLUME with
DISCARDDATA=YES to delete the files from the ADSM database.

Regards,

Andy

Andy Raibeck
IBM Storage Systems Division
ADSM Client Development
e-mail: storman AT us.ibm DOT com

ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU on 08/25/98 11:52:33 AM