ADSM-L

ATTN: Win32 Intel client has been refreshed

1998-08-25 14:25:48
Subject: ATTN: Win32 Intel client has been refreshed
From: Andrew Raibeck <storman AT US.IBM DOT COM>
Date: Tue, 25 Aug 1998 14:25:48 -0400
Hello to all ADSM-L subscribers,

The ADSM client for Windows 95/98/NT Version 3.1.0.5
(PTF IP21371) has been refreshed. This is for the Intel
platforms only. The DEC ALPHA client will be refreshed
either later this week or early next week. I will post
again when it is available.

I also need to correct something I posted yesterday to
ADSM-L. In that post I indicated that the problem with
expiring files with unicode names had been fixed. In
fact, it has not been fixed. Isolating the cause of this
problem has been more difficult for us than previously
thought, and we need more time to fix it (how long, I can
not say at this point). However, we have fixed the problem
with schedule log pruning that was causing disk space to
be filled up and CPU utilization to go to 99%. While we
are also concerned about fixing the expiration problem as soon
as possible, we didn't want to wait for that to get fixed
before providing relief for the schedule log pruning problem.

Changes between the initial version 3.1.0.5 Win32 client
and this iteration of the client include:

KNOWN PROBLEMS/LIMITATIONS
   Some files with international characters in their names may not get
   expired. Message "ANS1304W Active object now found" will be issued.
   APAR IC21764 is open for this problem.

APARS FIXED IN THIS PTF
   IC21748 - If ADSM NT client drive A: has no label, ADSM still backs
             it up and gives it a label of (DRIVE HAS NO LABEL).

   IC21763 - If a SCHEDLOGRETENTION is set the pruning log file can
             grow in size and CPU usage will go to 99%.

Please also note that the version information at the top of the README.1ST
file now includes the words "Final Edition". This will be used to
distinguish between the initial 3.1.0.5 client and this new one. Also,
the following executables are dated August 21, 1998: DSMC.EXE, DSMADMC.EXE,
DSMCUTIL.EXE, DSM.EXE, DSMCSVC.EXE, and NTCONS.EXE.

If you find any new problems with this PTF, please e-mail me directly at
storman AT us.ibm DOT com.

Thank you,

Andy

Andy Raibeck