ADSM-L

DDS2 Volumes with destroyed labels

1998-08-20 02:35:57
Subject: DDS2 Volumes with destroyed labels
From: Anton Gubarkov <Anton.Gubarkov AT SONY DOT RU>
Date: Thu, 20 Aug 1998 10:35:57 +0400
Hello,

Although this question has been already discussed here some time ago, I
would like to hear the answer from IBM ADSM team member. This is the
question of philisophy: I use tapes because they are sequental and should
not contain directory information. In fact they do. Should the volume label
become unreadable and I have to throw away the whole volume (what I already
did twice).

I believe that there should be some tool to transfer everything from one
tape to another but the volume label, block-by-block. Currently I don't see
any way to recover from such a situation.

Regards, Anton, Storage managerat SONY, Moscow.