ADSM-L

NT Client V3 PTF5 Warning

1998-08-19 07:53:23
Subject: NT Client V3 PTF5 Warning
From: Michael Bartl <michael.bartl AT ZENTRALE.ADAC DOT DE>
Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 13:53:23 +0200
Yesterday I downloaded the new V3 Client for NT (PTF5)...

We're glad not having installed the code on any server with heavy production
load as it caused lots of problems on the test machine:

The ADSM scheduler service nearly blocks the machine after every scheduled
backup session. It consumes 100% of available CPU power and slows down the
machine into a state of "impossible to work with". After stopping and
restarting the service the problem gets solved temporarily.

All filespaces get renamed
A filespace previously labeled "SRV123_D" now gets renamed into
"\\srv123\c$", the name of the volumelabel is not used any longer.

DSMC restore syntax changed
Following the change in filespace labelling the syntax of most restores also
has changed. We saw the great advantage of the new possibility to enter
national characters (e.g. german umlauts) in the commandline, but have to
edit all manuals for our storage administrators that are involved into
restore activity.

Problem when expiring files previously backed up using unicode filenames.
The client runs into an error when trying to expire such files. As a
consequence all those files remain active until this gets fixed or you
create a new filespace and delete the old one.

Errormessage from odbc
After having installed the new PTF an alert box appears stating an Error.
There seems to be a problem with odbc support files. We didn't do any
further investigation on this.

DSMSCHED.LOG
In DSMSCHED.LOG the new client spits out a blank line after every line
written. This is not a very hard error but the logfile doesn't really get
more readable...

I think the developers should sit down again and do some work to get the
fixes fixed before the client gets usable,

Regards,
Michael
--
Michael H. Bartl