ADSM-L

Database backup procedures

1998-08-17 18:58:49
Subject: Database backup procedures
From: Karen Krowzack <Karen.M.Krowzack AT UCM DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 17 Aug 1998 17:58:49 -0500
As a soon-to-be in production ADSM site, I have had a concern expressed to
me about the backup of the ADSM database.  Since the ADSM database is so
critical to the proper functioning of ADSM, what are the best steps taken to
ensure that it can be restored in case of a problem? To date, we are doing
the following:

1)  Mirroring the db and recovery log
2)  Backup the db to a file on disk on the ADSM server every day.

Eventually, we also plan to copy the db file to a tape or onto another ADSM
server.  At what age does that db backup become useless (24 hours, 1 day, 3
days???)

Any other ideas on how to take the best care of the database and recovery
log?  If the database is truly lost, can the tapes in the ADSM library be
re-read to re-build the database?

Thank you for your ideas and comments.

Karen Krowzack
IBM Global Services