ADSM-L

Re: Creating offsite copies for multiple locations.

1998-08-15 17:50:12
Subject: Re: Creating offsite copies for multiple locations.
From: Peter Gathercole <peter.gathercole AT VIRGIN DOT NET>
Date: Sat, 15 Aug 1998 22:50:12 +0100
We use two offsite copypools, but do not use the vault location field.This
means that the DRManager marks all of our offsite tapes as Vault, and does
not differentiate the different locations.

To achieve this, you list both copypools in the entry in the managedpools
entry shown in DRMstatus (sorry I can't be more specific, as I get older my
memory just gets worse!)

It will be necessary to backup your primary storage pool twice, once for each
copypool. We decided that we would do this one on each alternate day (this
fits in with the backup generations that my contractee have for their tape
copies)

ADSM DRM manages both copypools well, and move drmedia works exactly as
expected. If you really do have two locations, this method would require you
to manually sort the tapes being sent to each location.

Peter Gathercole
Open Systems Consultant