ADSM-L

Ugly experience

1998-08-14 08:42:23
Subject: Ugly experience
From: "Kauffman, Tom" <KauffmanT AT NIBCO DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 14 Aug 1998 07:42:23 -0500
I've just come in today and find I've had an ugly experience last night. I
had my "breead & butter" SAP on-line backup (an ADSM archive process) fail
-- because one of its four concurrent sessions was repeatedly prempted by
ADSM 'for a higher priority process' to frre up a tape drive.
ADSM 'for a higher priority process' to frre up a tape drive.

I now have 220 GB of worthless data (out of 222 GB of database). To my
management's eyes, there is NO higher priority process than this backup --
unless it is the restore from this backup. I have six tape units; four were
being used for the backup, one was in use for a restore (which was
expendable, and ended up failing for similar reasons) and one tape drive
failed during the night. How can I adjust these priorities? Especially, is
there any way to set a priority from the client side? This backup is started
by cron launching brbackup on the client.

TIA

Tom Kauffman
Sr. Technical Analyst
NIBCO, Inc