ADSM-L

Re: Exchange Agent -- Mailbox-level Backup/Restore?

2015-10-04 17:54:39
Subject: Re: Exchange Agent -- Mailbox-level Backup/Restore?
From: Del Hoobler [mailto:hoobler AT US.IBM DOT COM]
To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
Dave,

The Microsoft Exchange backup/restore API's do NOT support mailbox-level
backup and restore capabilities.  We are asking Microsoft for this
and hoping they will provide it sometime in the future.
The ability to do mailbox-level backup and restore can be
accomplished through non-backup/restore API's (which is what I
believe ArcServe does) but it is so slow and cumbersome that
it is not usable in the fashion people need. (See the
Microsoft Exchange FORUM for discussions on the ArcServe
mailbox-level backup and restore performance concerns.)
That information combined with the new features of Exchange 5.5
(deleted mailbox save) dissuaded us from trying to add the support
in a "round-about" way. So, we are waiting for Microsoft to provide
this to us through the Exchange API's.

Thanks.

Del Hoobler
ADSM Agent Development