ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Database as raw device faster?

1998-08-09 17:56:37
Subject: Re: ADSM Database as raw device faster?
From: Peter Gathercole <peter.gathercole AT VIRGIN DOT NET>
Date: Sun, 9 Aug 1998 22:56:37 +0100
I totally agree over the performance issues. JFS is built over the top of LVM,
so using RAW volumes directly completely eliminates one complete layer of
complexity.

Head movement optimisation should be done in the stratedgy layer of the
physical disk driver (the one just above the ones directly dealing with the
hardware). I have not looked at the AIX source recently (and since I no longer
work with IBM, I probably will never have the chance again) but certainly the
code IBM took from Unix SVR2 implemented the elevator algorithm for disk
accesses.

On the subject of JFSconsistancy, remember that JFS just protects the control
structures of the file system itself, not the data. This prevents such things
as the system allocating space to a file, but not removing the space from the
free block map. It does not journel writes to ordinary files. The original
idea was to reduce the number of times it would be necessary to fsck
filesystems should the operating system crash. It is very good at this, but
does not allow applications to perform full rollback journeling on multi write
trancactions. Database files can still be corrupted.

Peter Gathercole
Open Systems Consultant.