ADSM-L

Re: Archive question

1998-08-07 15:03:08
Subject: Re: Archive question
From: "Thomas A. La Porte" <tlaporte AT ANIM.DREAMWORKS DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 7 Aug 1998 12:03:08 -0700
On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Hilton Tina wrote:

>I'm probably missing something that's obvious to everyone else, but I'm
>stumped.  I have an archive that I run with an 2.1.0.6 client (AIX 4.2) with
>a 2.1.5.15 server (AIX 4.1.5).  The archive command is:
>        dsmc archive /essbasedata/* -archmc=30days -su=y

One thing that you should look at on the server side is the
output of 'q files v2106node f=d' and 'q files v31203node f=d'

The piece of information that may be relevant is your next
comment

>This command archives the files in 3 file systems
(/essbasedata/lvessbase01,
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^
>/essbasedata/lvessbase02, and /essbasedata/lvessbase03).
>
>This same application and file systems exist on another RS6000
(AIX 4.2)
>with a 3.1.20.3 client and a 3.1.1.2 server (AIX 4.2).  When I
issue the
>exact same archive command, I get this message:
>        ANS1081E Invalid search file specification
>'/essbasedata/lvessbase01' entered

I believe that you may need to run the command like this:

  dsmc arch -archmc=30days -su=y "/essbasedata/*"

According to the Unix client manual (p.222) where it defines
filespec syntax, "The only command which will accept a simple
file space name is the incremental command."

When you issue the command 'dsmc arch /essbasedata/*', what is
most likely happening is that ADSM is globbing the command as

'dsmc arch /essbasedata/lvessbase01 /essbasedata/lvessbase02 \
  /essbasedata/lvessbase03'

As you can see, this is essentially listing three "simple file
space name[s]" as an argument to the archive command, which,
according to the manuals, is invalid.

Under V3, you will probably have to run three separate commands:

'dsmc arch /essbasedata/lvessbase01/*'
'dsmc arch /essbasedata/lvessbase02/*'
'dsmc arch /essbasedata/lvessbase03/*'

Note then, too, that you will almost certainly not see anything
if you were to issue the command

  'dsmc q arch -su=y "/essbasedata/*" '

This is because the query command will be doing an SQL query that
is essentially like this:

  SELECT * \
  FROM   archives \
  WHERE  filespace_name = '/essbasedata'

Where, what you really need for it to do is:

  SELECT * \
  FROM   archives \
  WHERE  filespace_name LIKE '/essbasedata%'

which would essentially be
  'dsmc q arch -su=y "{/edssbasedata/*}/*" '

Since the manual explicitly states that you can "not use
wildcards as part of the filespace name" you can't do that.

Once again you're left with needing three commands:

'dsmc q arch /essbasedata/lvessbase01/*'
'dsmc q arch /essbasedata/lvessbase02/*'
'dsmc q arch /essbasedata/lvessbase03/*'

 -- Tom

Thomas A. La Porte
DreamWorks Feature Animation
tlaporte AT anim.dreamworks DOT com