ADSM-L

Re: How many drives per SCSI card?

1998-08-05 18:56:07
Subject: Re: How many drives per SCSI card?
From: Peter Gathercole <peter.gathercole AT VIRGIN DOT NET>
Date: Wed, 5 Aug 1998 23:56:07 +0100
It depends on the tape drive type, and the type of SCSI card.

8 bit SCSI I will give you a maximum throughput of about 5MB/s, which would
me saturated with 2 5GB Exabyte tape drives, or 1 DLT or IBM 3570

8 bit SCSI II will give you about 10MB/s
16 bit SCSI II (SCSI Fast/Wide) will give you about 20MB/s
I believe SCSI III (Ultra SCSI) doubles this again, and I believe that there
is now a low
voltage differential Ultra SCSI which is claimed to give 80MB/s throughtput.

Please be aware that the speed of the entire SCSI bus is determined by the
slowest device on the bus, so putting an 8 bit SCSI I device on a 16 bit
SCSI II bus will limit all devices to 5MB/s.

Peter Gathercole
Open Systems Consultant