ADSM-L

Re: Restore of UNIX systems

1998-08-04 13:27:26
Subject: Re: Restore of UNIX systems
From: Geoff Allen <geoff AT WSU DOT EDU>
Date: Tue, 4 Aug 1998 10:27:26 -0700
"Brown, Ed" <EXBrown AT SNOPUD DOT com> writes:

>       When you refer to your "disaster recovery" backups from cron,
> are you referring to some type of standard Unix backup utility like
> dump, ufsdump, fbackup, sysback, or mksysb? (Depending on what type of
> Unix you are using that is)

It's a home-grown script that preserves system configuration
information (/etc files, disklabels, and such), and makes copies of /,
/usr, and /var. On our DEC Alphas it uses vdump (a variant of dump),
on our HPs it uses fbackup, the IBMs use backup. Those backups are
piped across the network to a system which has a bit of disk space
allocated to this function. (That filesystem is not on our ADSM
backups, since we don't need backups of the backups.)

For recovery purposes, we boot off of installation media (DEC), a
custom-built "emergency disk" (HP), or a bootable archive tape (IBM),
and restore the data off of the network.

Geoff

--
Geoff Allen, geoff AT wsu DOT edu, <http://www.wsu.edu/~geoff/>
Geoff Allen, geoff AT wsu DOT edu, <http://www.wsu.edu/~geoff/>

A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention in
human history -- with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.
    -- Mitch Ratcliffe, _Technology Review_, April, 1992