ADSM-L

Re: Storage Volumes : Reclaims

1998-07-30 11:46:48
Subject: Re: Storage Volumes : Reclaims
From: Ajax Dempsey <applied_econ AT HOTMAIL DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 08:46:48 PDT
Hi Grant,

I just wanted to add my observations to Eric's recommendation.  On our
Solaris 2.5.1 system running ADSM 3.1.1.3, it is necessary to issue the
EXPIRE INVENTORY command while the RECLAIM=100 is in force, and before
unpdating the RECLAIM= to the lower level.

Without issuing the EXPIRE INVENTORY, ADSM may not know about all the
reclaimable space that is available.  Automatic EXPIRE INVENTORY can be
configured by setting the "ExpInterval" option in dsmserv.opt to the
hourly frequency desired, but this may not be frequently enough.  It
appears that ADSM automatically issues EXPIRE INVENTORY at start up,
which is why you Reclamation would kick off when you restart ADSM.

At our site, we use the following sequence of commands:

EXPIRE INVENTORY
UPDATE STGPOOL TAPEPOOL RECLAIM=50
<reclamation process will start>
UPDATE STGPOOL TAPEPOOL RECLAIM=100