ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Developers

1998-07-30 11:08:09
Subject: Re: ADSM Developers
From: Mark Wheeler <mlwheeler AT MMM DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 10:08:09 -0500
From: Mark L. Wheeler    Phone (651)733-4355  FAX (651)736-7689
      3M IT Centralized Tech Services
      3M Center 224-4N-20, St. Paul, MN 55144-1000
Jim,
The majority of the traffic comes thru three 10BaseT OSA-2 ports and one
10BaseT 3172-3 port. An additional 10BaseT 3172-3 port is lightly used.
I have a lightly used FDDI OSA-2, being phased out because FDDI has
fallen out of favor here. I have an ATM OSA-2 card that I hope to deploy
as soon as the network infrastructure is in place. My larger clients
(mostly HPUX) are being migrated to a 100BaseT (FENET) OSA-2 (installed
two weeks ago). I've had a single client back up as much as 4.7GB/hr
thru the FENET card. We are experimenting with some tuning options to
see how much that can be increased.

Sound exciting? Without ADSM/VM Version 3 this will all be junked. And
not by a different flavor of ADSM...

>Mark--I assume that you're connecting to your network using an Open
>Systems Adapter on your 9672??  What speed is it?  Which one?  What does
>your network look like?
>Jim Bohnsack
>Raytheon Systems Co.
>
>>From:  Mark Wheeler|SMTP:mlwheeler AT MMM DOT COM|
>>We're running ADSM/VM V2 on a 9672-R35 with RAMAC-2. One TCPIP stack
>>drives two ADSM servers at a peak rate of 12 GB/hour. At peak, the stack
>>consumes 40% of one engine while the servers total about 30%. I plan to
>>split the TCPIP stack, dedicating a stack to each server. If enough
>>bandwith was available (the current limitting factor), I believe I could
>>back up well over 20 GB/hour. I won't claim that this rate is sustainable
>>over a 24-hour period, but 200-300 GB per day would seem to be reasonably
>>acheivable.

Best regards,
     Mark
"Let the excellence of your work be your protest." - Dr. William Lane