ADSM-L

Re: Tape Cleaning

1998-07-29 23:12:45
Subject: Re: Tape Cleaning
From: Kenneth Bradberry <bradberk AT OAKWOOD DOT ORG>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 22:12:45 -0500
     I have found at least with my 7331 libraries that ADSM doesn't
     recognize the tape drive queues to clean the drives.  When the head is
     dirty, the mt device will produce an ADSM undetermined error Tape
     Error 2 or 3 if my memory serves me correctly.  Their is no way to
     make ADSM mount a cleaning tape in response to the 8mm 7Z0A microcode
     prompts to clean the drive.  I have had to run all the cleaning via
     the libraries auto-clean functionality, it works as long as I remember
     to have the cleaning tapes rotated when they run out.  I think that is
     the case with any drive that driven by an ADSM driver.  Now with the
     MagStar libraries, they use the Atape drivers, the regular rmtx which
     will produce a proper error response but I don't believe ADSM has the
     logic to mount a cleaning tape based on that signal.  Hope that makes
     some sense.  I am on version 2 still, maybe they fixed this in version
     3.  :>

     Ken.