ADSM-L

Inexplicable error message

1998-07-29 16:44:50
Subject: Inexplicable error message
From: Peggy Wilkins <mozart AT STONE.LIB.UCHICAGO DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 15:44:50 -0500
I am running the ADSM client Version 3, Release 1, Level 0.4 A, for
Solaris 2.5.1.  Every time I run incremental backups, the dsmerror.log
file fills with more than 3MB of the same error message, which is
repeated tens of thousands of times. For instance, last night's
backups generated 29,987 copies of this message, all in only four
minutes (!).  The backups do complete successfully, though.

Here is the message:

07/28/98   22:15:31 ANS9178E : cannot open file
/etc/adsm/SpaceMan/config/dsmmigfstab: No such file or directory.

I don't understand why it is generating this error.  Obviously, it is
looking for a file that does not exist, but there is no reason why the
file *should* exist, and no reason for ADSM to be looking for it.

My understanding from searching various docs is that "SpaceMan" refers
to space management, which is associated with HSM and the Veritas file
system.  We do not use the Veritas file system, and do not have HSM
installed.  Does anyone have any idea why this error is being
generated, and (better yet) how to fix the problem?

We also have a Solaris 2.6 ADSM client running on a different host
that is configured exactly the same way (also not using HSM), and this
other host does not get error messages about dsmmigfstab
missing... nor does it have a dsmmigfstab file.

Thanks in advance for any help.
__
Peggy Wilkins
Programmer/Analyst