ADSM-L

Re: ADSM Developers rev. 1.0

1998-07-29 15:07:19
Subject: Re: ADSM Developers rev. 1.0
From: Eric LEWIS <eric.lewis AT CCMAIL.ADP.WISC DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 13:07:19 -0600
     Hi:  We are running a MVS ADSM (Server Version 2, Release 1, Level
     0.13) 3090-400J with Ramac1/1.5GB Cache 3494 ATLw/(4)3590s via ATM.
     We are flat out at 20 to 25 GB/day with ADSM and sharing the tape
     drives with DFSMS.  Of course the MF is doing many other things.

     Our early experience with an AIX ADSM (server V 3.1 lvl 1.3) SSA DASD
     3494 ATL (2)3590s via ATM is good.  It zips through 20 GB.  We rarely
     need the second drive while the MVS server could always use three.
     The tape read/write speeds seem to make a big difference.  Also, this
     machine is almost 100% ADSM.

     We'll upgrade the MF to CMOS in Aug and 17 MB/s ESCON and are hopeful
     the faster channels will make the match more equal.  A ver. 2 vs. ver.
     3 comparison is not a fair test even so.

     Eric Lewis
     Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison