ADSM-L

Connect agent for SQL Server questions

1998-07-27 12:39:49
Subject: Connect agent for SQL Server questions
From: Allan Kelly <KellyJA AT BCRAIL DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 1998 09:39:49 -0700
Here are some questions from our internal SQL Server support person:

1.  Is ADSM case-sensitive?  Is the SQLDSMC command line interface
case-sensitive and is the SQL Agent GUI case-sensitive?

2.  How can the SQLDSMC command-line SQL backup/restore utility retrieve
the latest backup of a particular database without having to know the
OBJECTNAME?  If the way is to list the database backups using the
/ADSMQUERYDB, do you have an automated method to pick out the latest
backup objectname from that list and use it in a script file to restore
the database?

3.  When the SQLDSMC command-line SQL backup/restore utility is used to
restore a database into another database using the /RESTOREINTO:dbname,
why does the database have to already exist on that machine in it's
original name.  I need to restore the database into a different dbname
but the original db is not on that machine.

4. When I try to view the SQL Agent database backup log for a different
ADSM node, the log comes up blank.  However, when viewed on the node it
was created from, it is okay.  What is the problem?

Eg.  When running from the node SC631:  sqldsmc /adsmquerydb:*
/adsmnode:SC645     <-- the results are blank.
       When running from the node SC645:  sqldsmc /adsmquerydb:*
<-- the results are okay.

Thanks.

Allan.