ADSM-L

Re: STK 9710 question

1998-07-22 11:51:21
Subject: Re: STK 9710 question
From: "Prather, Wanda" <PrathW1 AT CENTRAL.SSD.JHUAPL DOT EDU>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 11:51:21 -0400
Hi Becky,
We run STK 9710 silos attached to AIX hosts.
I'm sure you will get several different opinions and points of view on these
questions, but here are mine:

1) The 9710 robot microcode is provided by STK.  The DLT 7000 drive
microcode comes from Quantum, but will be installed on the drives by your
STK CE's.

The microcode level needed for the robot depends on your setup, so rely on
what your CE tells you.  Make sure the DLT7000 microcode is at least up to
V7.

2) I find that tape operations are easier in one device class, one library.
If you check your tapes in to the library as scratch, then when it's time to
do a DB backup, ADSM just grabs the next scratch tape; and when the DB
backup expires, it just goes back to the scratch pool.  (just the same as
using 1 scratch pool with MVS TMS).  If you split the library, then you have
to constantly check to make sure you have enough scratch tapes in each
category.  If everything is in one devclass/scratch pool, it makes your life
easier.  If you are worried about one storage pool eating too many scratch
tapes, you can control that with the MAXSCRATCH parmeter on the storage pool
itself.

3) Some people manage their offsite/onsite movement via unix scripts.  You
have to identify which tapes you want to move offsite, check them out of the
ADSM library, eject them from the robot, and update the status of each moved
volume to show it is no longer available to mount.

We use DRM instead.  I am familiar with TMS - what DRM provides you is the
function that is equivalent to TMS vaulting.  With DRM, any tapes created in
DRM-eligible COPY pools are automatically flagged as eligible for movement
offsite; then DRM does the data base updates for you as tapes move from
onsite to your courier to your vault and back.

Unless you have extra humans sitting around with nothing to do but write and
maintain scripts, I think DRM pays for itself.

Hope this helps.

Wanda Prather
Johns Hopkins Applied Physics Lab
443-778-8769
wanda_prather AT jhuapl DOT edu

"Intelligence has much less practical application than you'd think."
              - Scott Adams/Dilbert