ADSM-L

Mirrowwrite log parallel

1998-07-20 11:57:00
Subject: Mirrowwrite log parallel
From: Mike Stewart <STEWAJM AT AUDUCADM.DUC.AUBURN DOT EDU>
Date: Mon, 20 Jul 1998 10:57:00 -05
*** Comments From: STEWAJM - Stewart, Mike; 07/20/98 10:40am

Along with the other folk's ADSM server crashes which occurred
last week, mine went down also.  Mine wasn't as simple as
a restart, though, and resulted in lost data.

Basically, the MVS Server (3.1 0.2) failed with an 0C1.
When it was restarted it complained about:
ANR0209E Page address mismatch detected
on _both_ the log and mirror log files.

After discussion with ADSM support, I found I had
to run a dsmserv format on the log/db and restore
the db from the latest backup.  Since the log was corrupt there
was no possibility of performing a roll-forward recovery, and
a good bit of data which had migrated from disk to
tape was lost.

I have changed my options files from the default:

mirrorwrite log parallel

to:
mirrowwrite log sequential

which I hope will help prevent both the log and log mirrow from
_both_ being damaged in the future.