ADSM-L

Re: Useful 'move data' options

1998-07-17 10:54:57
Subject: Re: Useful 'move data' options
From: Bill Colwell <bcolwell AT DRAPER DOT COM>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 10:54:57 -0400
In <DD1AE42E29D2D011B77C0000F69805001762D5 AT GCAF04.civility.amsterdam DOT
nl>, on
07/17/98
   at 02:34 PM, "Caupain, Jerry" <gc097 AT CIVILITY.AMSTERDAM DOT NL> said:

>I agree, that would be a useful option.
>Can anyone give me a couple of good reasons why a full backup wont't reduce
>the number of tapes needed for a restore of a node?
>They really on my case trying to get me to schedule full backups. I keep
>telling them that when you use collocation and reclamation frequently you
>allready reduce the restore tapes.
>Can somebody give me some hard evidence? ( If there is....)

>Jerry Caupain

A full backup will reduce the number of tapes needed for a restore to the
absolute minimum.  Someone just have to justify the cost.  It will increase
the number of tapes used by this node, increase your database size, increase
your network load etc.  But if the fastest restore posible is worth any
price, then do it!
Bill Colwell
Bill Colwell
C. S. Draper Lab