ADSM-L

Server Detected System Error...ANS1301E Possible Fix

1998-07-17 09:38:31
Subject: Server Detected System Error...ANS1301E Possible Fix
From: "McAllister, Andrew" <McAllisterA AT UMSYSTEM DOT EDU>
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 1998 08:38:31 -0500
The recent ANS1301E system error problems we have been having seem to be
resolved. To recap, the errors occurred when backing up a 5+ gig file to
tape (see cron output at bottom of message). A server system error with
code ANS1301E would cause the backup to abort roughly 90% of the time.
The server was ADSM 3.1.1.3 on AIX and the client was 3.1.1 on AIX.
Similar problems occurred with 2+ gig files on NT with 2.x Clients.
These errors started immediately after an upgrade of ADSM from 2.x to
3.1.1.

Our sysadmn recently added more temp disk space for the ADSM server. We
had 2 gig and now have 6.5 gig. Since this increase in working space for
the ADSM server, we have had a significant improvement in backup
reliability and I don't believe we've had an ANS1301E error in at least
4 days. A new record.

A previous fix mentioned was to set the server to skip the temp disk
cache and write directly to tape. This doesn't seem to be a good long
term fix, and we were holding out for a better solution.

I would be interested in hearing if others with the same problem can
reproduce our results by adding additional disk temp space. If yes, or
no, please respond to the list.

Andrew McAllister
University of Missouri

snip