ADSM-L

Re: Cancelling a Netware Client restore session?

1998-07-09 07:44:55
Subject: Re: Cancelling a Netware Client restore session?
From: Jerry Mickelson <micje01 AT NWP DOT COM>
Date: Thu, 9 Jul 1998 07:44:55 -0400
Cancelling a session at the server console usually is a very 'RISKY' action to
take!!  If the dsmc nlm is unloaded while active and the server has a fair load
on it (30%), an abend is sure to be the next thing that will be seen on screen.
 Ctrl+C only works if the client is not busy, as netware does not forward the
key stroke as a high priority to interrupt processing...  Experimentation on
test servers (3.1x and 4.1x) showed us the only 'safe' way to abort a session
for a netware client is to: 1. cancel session at ADSM server, 2. at the client
screen, you'll see a something like 'connection lost waiting xxxxxxxx to
re-attempt' this is the time to Ctrl+C for a safely close ...  Not elegant and
certainly not a casual user task, but keeps the server from going south....

Thanks!!

Jerry W. Mickelson
Director of Information Technologies
Network Plus, Inc.
e-mail: jmickelson AT nwp DOT com

>>> Julie Phinney <jphinney AT HUMANA DOT COM> 07/08 3:15 PM >>>
The only way I know of for the users to do it is to do a CTRL-C on that
screen, which I'm not sure if that works if you're using RCONSOLE.

"Wayne T. Smith" <WTS AT MAIL.CAPS.MAINE DOT EDU> on 07/08/98 01:54:28 PM