ADSM-L

Re: Here's an easy one

1998-07-08 08:28:24
Subject: Re: Here's an easy one
From: Dwight Cook <decook AT AMOCO DOT COM>
Date: Wed, 8 Jul 1998 07:28:24 -0500
     Yep... that is it the files are bound to the management class you
     change.

     ONLY BACKUPS REBIND...
     ARCHIVES DO NOT REBIND ! (kind'a)

     if you smoke the management class an archive was bound to it is kept
     for the "grace period" for archives associated with the domain

     if you alter the archive copy group of a management class that an
     archive is bound to... the existing archives retain their origional
     expiration date.

     if you alter the "default" management classes backup copy group and
     the files are bound to that, the changes are reflected in existing
     backup versions of files

     if you alter a non-default management class backup copy group and
     files are bound to it, OR if a client rebinds files (see
     include/exclude statements for the client machine) then the changes
     are reflected in existing backup versions of files

     IF A CLIENT WANTS TO CHANGE THE CHARACTERISTICS OF AN ARCHIVED FILE...
     tell them thay have to retrieve it, then archive it into the proper
     management class (to extend its retention) OR delete it if they want
     to get rid of it