ADSM-L

Re: Oracle backup problem on AIX - memory leak ?

1998-07-07 08:05:14
Subject: Re: Oracle backup problem on AIX - memory leak ?
From: "Vilmundur Palmason (N}herji)" <villi2 AT ITN DOT IS>
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 1998 12:05:14 +0000
Thanks for the response.

> Which level of Connect Agent are you using right now, 2.1.6 or 2.1.7 ? =
>  We have
> just releaseed a new ptf, 2.1.7.  You might want to get this new ptf do=
> wnloaded
> from index.storsys.ibm.com as anonymous under  /adsm/fixes/agents/aixor=
> c.  I
> think, the try-buy package you installed is still at 2.1.6 level.

I use adsm.client.aob at level 2.1.0.7 and adsm.api.client.aix42 at level
3.1.20.3.

> I don't think this is a memory leak problem.  We have run the agent, 2.=
> 1.6,
> with 500+GB of data and had no problem.

Should I try to install 2.1.0.6 ? If so, what will that do to the
60 day license ?

>  Was it your very first time ba=
> cking up
> the database with this EBU level 2.1.0.1.2?  If it was, were you able t=
> o start
> another backup?

There were some Legato experiments going on before, I am always able to start
another obackup which runs exactly the same.

After we first ran into the problem we reinstalled EBU and I doublechecked
the /usr/lib/libobk.a and $EBU_HOME/lib/libobk.a links before installing
and linking.

I am always able to start another backup which runs into the same problems.

> Another possibility is the commtimeout value set to a low value in your=
>
> dsmserv.opt file.  How full your database is?  Even it is 40GB in size,=
>  for
> example, your database might be only 50% full.  When EBU was busy readi=
> ng null
> blocks, the backup sessions were idle for a while.  Once this idle time=
>  was
> over commtimeout value, your backup sessions are cancelled by the ADSM =
> server.
> When EBU was ready to send some data to ADSM, the sessions were already=
>
> cancelled.  In this case, you should see -50, tcpip failure, in your
> dsierror.log.  Since you don't see this in dsierror.log, I am curious t=
> o know
> the answers to my questions above.

The database is more like 90% full.  The log files and ADSM server activity
do not show communication timeout.

I am still more than a little suspicious about the memory consumption of
the obackup processes, watching them grow to over 100 megabytes of memory.

> regards,
> Thiha
>
> >Hi,
>
> >I recently installed Oracle ADSMConnect Agent for AIX (try-buy) on an =
> F50
> >running AIX 4.2.1 and Oracle 7.3.3 (EBU V 2.1.0.1.2)
> >My obackup currently runs about halfway through until encountering the=
>
> >error: (from obackup trace file)
>
> >EBU-4003: Process pid 78454 exited; exit code =3D 5
> >  on 06/30/1998 20:46:55 [ 77424 : brio ]
> >Process terminated with SIGNAL 4
>
> >Signal 4 means illegal instruction which sounds like a bug.  As can be=
>  seen
> >below, the obackup processes seem to be experiencing a memory leak.
>
> >Nothing is logged in the dsierror.log file.
>
> >The total size of all datafiles is about 40GB and the backup failes af=
> ter
> >about 20GB so the database size can hardly be a problem.
>
> >Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Vilmundur Palmason
Systems Engineer