ADSM-L

Re: DB2 Backup and Expiration

1998-07-06 18:55:58
Subject: Re: DB2 Backup and Expiration
From: Keith Medcalf <kmedcalf AT DESSUS DOT COM>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 18:55:58 -0400
>      Thanks for your answer to Gary.  We are also dealing
> with the same issue here with AIX DB2 backing up to ADSM V2.1
> (version 2.1 because DB/2 did not certify their version 5 to
> work with ADSM 3.x until late last month).  I DELETE the
> unwanted backups with DB2ADUTL and run expire inventory but
> the files are still on tape.  Is there another step to making
> them go away?  Any information would be appreciated.

The DB2 data is backed up (type=BACKUP) using a unique filename everytime.
The files are never automatically expired/deleted by the client.  (A
non-braindead programmer would either have used type=ARCHIVE if the
filenames were unique, or made the filename == the database name if
type=BACKUP, in order that ADSM storage management would work as designed.
Unfortunately, IBMers tend to be little brain-dead when it comes to computer
systems -- particularly when trying to understand why anyone would want to
use one.)

In order to kick in the policy, you have to mark the unwanted backups
DELETED with DB2ADUTL, at which point they will be expired and removed just
like any other backup file deleted from a client machine in accordance with
the policy set.

Yes, it is stupid.  Then again, its a glossy brochure feature, not something
designed to be used in other than a glossy brochure marketting environment
(obviously, by the idiotic design).