ADSM-L

Re: DB2 Backup and Expiration

1998-07-06 13:14:03
Subject: Re: DB2 Backup and Expiration
From: Campbell Esplin <Campbell AT KINGSLEY.CO DOT ZA>
Date: Mon, 6 Jul 1998 19:14:03 +0200
Bob,

You have to check what parameters (and their values) from your backup
policies (managementclass) applies. Once DB2ADUTL got to flag the file as
deleted ADSM  'RETAIN ONLY VERSION'  parameter kicks in and then, once that
time expired, on expire inventory,  flags the space used on your storage
media as re-usable. I suspect your 'RETAIN ONLY VERSION' (RETO) parameter
is set incorrectly.

Regards
Campbell Esplin
http://www.excal.co.za
> From: Bob Miller <CBRM AT ARGUSHEALTH DOT COM>
> To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> Subject: Re: DB2 Backup and Expiration
> Date: Monday, July 06, 1998 3:41 PM
>
> Hello Campbell;
>
>      Thanks for your answer to Gary.  We are also dealing with the same
issue here with AIX DB2 backing up to ADSM V2.1 (version 2.1 because DB/2
did not certify their version 5 to work with ADSM 3.x until late last
month).  I DELETE the unwanted backups with DB2ADUTL and run expire
inventory but the files are still on tape.  Is there another step to making
them go away?  Any information would be appreciated.

> Thanks
> Bob Miller
> Argus Health Systems
> Kansas City, MO, USA
> cbrm AT argushealth DOT com

> Gary, there is the DB2ADUTL utility that u can use to mark old DB2 backup
> images and logs as deleted......so that ADSM expiration parameters can
kick
> in from the assigned managementclass.
>
> Regards
> Campbell Esplin
> Excalibur Business Solutions
> http://www.excal.co.za
> ----------
> > From: Gary Harrison <Gary.Harrison AT ARCADIAGROUP.CO DOT UK>
> > To: ADSM-L AT VM.MARIST DOT EDU
> > Subject: DB2 Backup and Expiration
> > Date: Sunday, July 05, 1998 11:05 AM
> >
> >        Hi,
> >
> >             Does anyone out there have any experience of DB2 backup
using
> >        the ADSM API's ?
> >
> >             We are running ADSM V3.1.0.1 and backing up DB2 UDB on AIX
> >        V4.2.1
> >
> >             I am using a lot of tapes (3590) because the DB2 Backup
data
> >        does not appear to be expiring despite the backup policy
> definition
> >        stating we only wish to keep data for 60 days. If I do Q CON of
> >        tapes I can see data which is over 100 days old. Non DB2 backups
> are
> >        expiring as expected. !
> >
> >             Any suggestions before I corner the 3590 tape market !
> >

> >        Regards,
> >        Gary Harrison
> >        Arcadia Group
> >        Gary.Harrison AT Arcadiagroup.co DOT uk